Welcome to Year 5
Class Teacher: Mrs Johnston
Teaching Assistants: Ms Royer and Mrs Todaro
Welcome to Year 5. I am really looking forward to the year ahead and seeing your children grow in confidence and thrive! blossom as individuals. We have lots of very exciting events happening this year (including PGL!!) During the Autumn term the children will be engaging in lots of exciting topics across all subjects. As well as our great learning in the classroom, we will also have some great trips and exciting events happening in school.
During theAutumn term, we will be covering the following units in English:
- Suspence and Mystery
- Narrative Poetry
- Traditional Tales
- Persuasive wriitng
- Narrative poetry
We will also be reading 'Goodnight Mr. Tom' by Michelle Magorian as part of our WWII topic.
Grammar; active and passive, subjunctive form, tenses, various punctuation to enhance writing and reading
We will also be continuing our learning and revision of comprehension techniques.
We will explore;
- Converting units
- Perimeter, area and volume
- Problem solving
We will also be rehearsing and revising calculation methods.
White Rose Mathematics - https://whiterosemaths.com/
Timestables Rockstars - https://play.ttrockstars.com/
Mathletics - https://portal.3plearning.com/welcome?productId=1
Our Big Question this half term is ‘What do the miracles tell us about Jesus?’
This will include:
- Looking at a range of miracles and their meaning in the bible
- Investigating the Old and the New testement
- Understanding what it means to have a vocation in faith
The unit is all about Poland.
By the end of the unit the children will be able to;
- Use digital maps to research geographical features of locations
- Use world maps to locate countries and cities
- Describe and understand economic activity including trade links
The topic is WWII - Britian at War
In our lessons will be exploring the following:
- Appeasement and the start of WWII
- The development of allies on both sides
- The impact of evacuation
- The increased use of technology through flight
We will by working on Skylines, Cityscapes and Architecture
The children will be learning:
- Knowledge and perspective of landscapes
- Use of techniques such as silhouette
- Colour to create impact
- Developing your own artistic style
- Various perspectives of art around us
- Developing your own scene through imagination
In Science this term we will be looking at the following units:
- Physics: Feel the force
- Physics: Space
The children will learn about gravityand resitance, as well as Space, the planets and distance.
The children will learn how to develop an interactive game and crack the codes through coding
We will be learning about:
- Revise opinions
- Sports Vocabulary
The children will have their music lessons with Mr Jones.
The children will have their PE lessons with Mr Maura. This term our lessons will be on a Monday and Friday.
Please use these links to support your child at home
Spelling Frame https://spellingframe.co.uk/